Criss Cross Jazz BSIN04439479
Edwards, Donald / Smith II, W. / Gilmore, D. / + - Prelude To Real Life
On his second Criss Cross leader date, Prelude to Real Life, drummer Donald Edwards picks up where he left off with the next installment of an autobiographical narrative in notes and tones.
Whereas in his debut, Evolution of an Influenced Mind (Criss 1365), Edwards conveyed the story of his formative years as a musician with eleven original compositions, here he addresses themes of love, family and fatherhood with an engaging suite comprising six kinetic, diverse originals of his and one by Alex Sipiagin, two personalized standards (Thelonious Monk's Skippy; Benny Golson's Stablemates); and three textural drum interludes.
Rejoining him from the first date are pianist Orrin Evans and tenor saxophonist Walter Smith III, both Criss Cross veterans, guitarist David Gilmore, while rising star Luques Curtis assuming the bass chair. Edwards' old friend Nicholas Payton plays keyboards on three tracks, and eminent New York singer Vivian Sessoms lends her voice to three selections.
Edwards unifies the proceedings with the big beat, impeccable taste, and creative spirit that have made him a New York first-caller since he moved to the Apple 15 years ago.
1. Taking Shape (Donald Edwards)
2. Incantation (Donald Edwards)
3. Hop Scotch (Donald Edwards)
4. Apple Street (Donald Edwards)
5. Way To Her (Alex Sipiagin)
6. King (Donald Edwards)
7. Queen And The Princess (Donald Edwards)
8. Stablemates (Benny Golson)
9. Beautiful Intuition (Donald Edwards)
10. Thought For The Day (Donald Edwards)
11. Skippy (Thelonious Monk)
12. Prelude To Real Life (Donald Edwards / Ben Wolfe)
Recorded September 14, 2015 in Brooklyn, NY, USA.